In 2018 Montreal artist with Alberta roots, Raymond Biesinger, generously partnered with CHI to offer his new Art Print: 19 Lost Buildings of Calgary to our heritage community.

The sale is now closed. Thanks to all who ordered. If you have not yet received your print, please email contact@calgaryheritage.org  and indicate “Art Print” in the subject box.

Raymond’s art print was featured in Swerve Magazine, March 23, 2018
For more information about the artist or to order direct, visit fifteen.ca

Included in the image:

1. Hotel York (1930-2007, an Edwardian commercial-style hotel bulldozed for the present-day Bow tower, its carved stone top currently sits in storage)

2. Capitol Theatre (1921-1972, would often deploy sculptural, street-front, movie adversing, was demolished shortly after its neighbour the York Hotel)

3. The Cecil Hotel (1912-2015, one of Calgary’s last pre-WWI hotels, often described as “seedy”)

4. Fire Hall No. 1 (1887-1911, built immediately after the downtown-destroying fire of 1886 that officially ended “wooden” Calgary and started “sandstone” Calgary)

5. The Canadian Pacific Railway Station (1893-1966, neighbour to the Palliser Hotel, it stood on the same parcel of land currently occupied by the Calgary Tower)

6. Telstar Drug (1962-2006, a family pharmacy with space age rocket-and-satellite sign)

7. The Summit Sheraton Hotel (1965-1989, a short-lived example of 60s modern construction, complete with rotating restaurant)

8. Hull House (1905-1970, former home of the Glenbow Museum, located on 12th Ave. and 5th St. SW)

9. Art Central (1928-2013, previously a grocery store, in 2004 it began to house artist studios and artistic shops)

10. Moravian Church (1902-1970s, a tiny wooden structure levelled into a parkade)

11. Land Titles Office (1911-1970, built to be completely fireproof, it made way for the current Court of Queen’s Bench)

12. The Hull Opera House (1893-1963, functioned as a 1000-seat opera house until 1906, when it was converted into retail and residential units)

13. Robin Hood Flour Mills (1910-1973, demolished to make room for Gulf Canada Square)

14. Westbourne Baptist Church (1910s-2017, “the spiritual home of premier William Aberhart, co-founder of the Social Credit Party of Alberta, which dominated Alberta’s legislature from 1935 to 1971”)

15. The Herald Building (1913-1972, housed the Calgary Herald from 1913-1932)

16. St. George’s Island Bandstand (1911-1949)

17. Burns Manor (1901-1956, maybe best described as a neo-gothic Scottish castle, its medieval tower sported the Burns family crest in carved stone)

18. The Canadian Pacific Railway Dept. of Natural Resources (1911-1966, headquarters of CPR’s efforts to exploit the southern prairies’ natural resources, it too stood on the same parcel of land currently occupied by the Calgary Tower)

19. Alexander Corner (1890-1929, had a very similarly designed “twin” across the street, was destroyed to make way for the 1920 expansion of the Hudson’s Bay building)

 

 

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail