windows

windows

Postby sierralimahotel » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:36 pm

Hello,

I looked for a post that might have answered my question, but didn't see one.

Our 1910 home in Cliff Bungalow still maintains original windows on the front of the house but at some point someone installed a very large glass block window in the main floor dining room. I would like to remove that feature and replace it with a window that is more fitting with the age of the house.

We are inner city (23 Ave SW) so our neighbour's house is very close to ours. Is there a building code that states we are not allowed to go back to a normal window in this situation? We've been told this by some, but don't understand why that might be.

thank you!
Sandra
sierralimahotel

Re: windows

Postby Val Jobson » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:49 am

I think you might want to talk to the City of Calgary Heritage Planners about that? Here's contact information and other information:

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/LUPP/Pages/He ... nning.aspx
Val Jobson

Re: windows

Postby newsposter » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:01 pm

Side yard windows are sometimes required to be non-transparent (translucent, frosted, whatever) because of privacy issues related to overlooking neighbour property, or into next door windows. Not sure how that relates to pre-existing houses doing window renovations. It is possible the previous owner employed glass block because of such rules. Do the windows look into a neighbour window, or overlook their backyard? You might want to call 311 and talk to someone in Development and Building Approvals, and also your neighbour. (Not particularly a "heritage planner" issue.)
newsposter

Return to Heritage Trades