This is My Cecil - daily until May 28

Moderator: newsposter

This is My Cecil - daily until May 28

Postby newsposter » Wed May 19, 2010 4:07 pm

Spaces and places for discussion
EPCOR CENTRE for the Performing Arts’ Ledge Gallery presents

This is My Cecil

CALGARY – Local artist, Tomas Jonsson, provokes discussion featuring Calgary’s iconic Cecil Hotel and its storied past and uncertain future. Through regularly scheduled workshops at EPCOR CENTRE’s Ledge Gallery, Jonsson will work with participants to facilitate the many narratives that surround, engage or otherwise define the Cecil Hotel.

Title: This is My Cecil
Location: EPCOR CENTRE’s Ledge Gallery (on the +15 level of Centre Court)
Date: Tuesday, May 11 – Friday, May 28
Artist in attendance: 5 - 8 pm, Monday – Friday
Closing Reception: Friday, May 28, 2010

Tales of the Cecil have predominantly been negative – as a site of criminal activity, of poverty, a scourge to property values and a roadblock to urban growth and development. Jonsson challenges there are dialogues that could be initiated around this space and asks if there other possible futures for the Cecil, besides the proverbial parking lot.

This is My Cecil uses iconic elements from the building's past, both as bar, and former site of Western Canada's first German language newspaper (Der Deutches Canadianer) to create a space for discussion and narrative (re)creation.

Jonsson, who is known for his socially motivated performative work, will appeal to individuals interested in creating zines (self-published works of minority interest) and those interested in the history and future of the Cecil Hotel.

Artist Biography

As an artist, curator and writer, Tomas Jonsson is interested in issues of social agency in processes of urban growth and transformation. Tomas is pursuing a Masters in Environmental Studies at York University, with an emphasis on socially engaged planning. Tomas recently participated in the Border Cities Kolleg at the Bauhaus Institute in Dessau, Germany, where he developed projects with creative and precarious communities in Tallinn and Helsinki. Tomas is currently Programming Coordinator at EMMEDIA Gallery and Production Society in Calgary.

Media Contact:
Kerri Savage, Communications Manager
EPCOR CENTRE for the Performing Arts
403.294.7455 ext.1476 ksavage@epcorcentre.org

More on the Cecil:
http://www.calgaryheritage.org/CHIForum/vi ... =1378#1378
newsposter

Return to Events