Looking for information on pre-1904 street names

Swap ideas on ways to save and improve Calgary's heritage resources

Moderator: newsposter

Looking for information on pre-1904 street names

Postby Kilgore Trout » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:37 pm

I'm looking for information on Calgary's street names before the city adopted its numbering system in 1904. I remember seeing an old map from this era but I can't seem to find it online. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Kilgore Trout

Postby Chris E » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:03 am

I've got one..somewhere. I'll find it this weekend.
Chris E

Postby Chris E » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:17 am

Chris E

Postby Kilgore Trout » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:01 pm

Thanks so much!
Kilgore Trout

Postby newsposter » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:38 am

Kilgore Trout's blog on this subject: http://www.urbanphoto.net/blog/2007/11/ ... eet-names/

Some commentary on the map, originally posted by Frinkprof at www.skyscraperpage.com

Awesome map. A few notes people may be interested in.

1. The title block in the bottom right mentions that it was compiled by Messrs Jephson & Wheeler D.L. Surveys. The "D.L." stands for Dominion Lands, as in they were Dominion Land Surveyors. There are no more Dominion Land Surveyors. Since it was done in 1891, this predates the existence of Alberta Land Surveyors, since Alberta wasn't a province until 1905. I'm 90% sure that the "Wheeler" in question is this guy. A.O. Wheeler was quite a historic figure in the Canadian surveying field. He is credited with naming lots of mountains in the rockies, as well as being a pioneer in photogrammetry.

2. The streets now named 14th Street West (First Street on the map), 4th Street West (Ross Road on the map), and 6th Street East are shown on the map as "government road allowances." The north/south running road allowances (range roads) are generally one mile apart. Also, the street directly east of the one labelled "Fourth Av." on the eastern side of the map, is also a G.R.A., and is now 15th Street East.

Not shown on the map is the next north/south Road allowance directly east of this one, which is actually the 5th meridian, which today's Barlow Trail follows in its straight portion. Also, there is actually Meridian Road in the northeast which picks up from Barlow where it deviates a bit from the actual meridian. This meridian is at exactly 114 degrees longitude west of Greenwich, England, or the prime meridian. The 4th meridian defines the Alberta/Saskatchewan border. The 1st meridian is just west of Winnipeg, where the Dominion Land Surveying system began.

Other north/south road allowances in Calgary are 37th, 53rd (Sarcee), 69th, 85th, and 101st Streets West; 36th, 52nd, and 84th Streets East.

Part of the new city limits in the east are at Range Road 284 (likely future 116 Street East).

3.17th Ave. (Notre Dame Street on the map) is noted as an east/west Government Road Allowance. This is the only one shown on the map, since the next one to the south is now 50th Ave. South, and the next one to the north is 16th Ave. North. Road allowances that run east/west (township roads) are generally every two miles.

Other east/west road allowances in Calgary are McKnight Blvd. (48th Ave. North), 80th Ave. North, and the eastern portion of Country Hills Blvd. together with 112th Ave. in the Northwest. In the South, Heritage Drive together with Glenmore Trail east of Deerfoot, Anderson Road together with 114th Ave., 146th Ave/James McKevitt Road, and 22X.

The city limits in the north are at Township Road 262 (likely future 176th Ave. North).
newsposter

Postby Admin » Sat May 31, 2008 2:54 pm

bump for front page
Admin
Site Admin

Return to General Heritage Talk