Moving Penny Lane to Heritage Park

Swap ideas on ways to save and improve Calgary's heritage resources

Moderator: newsposter

Moving Penny Lane to Heritage Park

Postby Chris E » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:59 pm

First of all, this is my personal opinion so far, and I am open to other points of view.

I don't think moving Pennylane to Heritage park is a great idea, and here's why:
Penny lane is not architecturally fabulous, or even much above average. The draw of Penny Lane right now is more the eclectic shops, pubs and restaurants, and the social atmosphere of the strip. Penny Lane without the crowds, in a 'museum' setting like Heritage Park wouldn't have nearly the effect that is does in it's present location. I'm tempted to say that reconstructions of very interesting structures we've lost (Heritage Park's original plan) would be more fitting for the museum aspect of the park. That said, I could be wrong, perhaps Penny Lane would be a nice addition, I just don't see a strip filled with blacksmiths and saddleries and penny candy stores having nearly the social scene it does now.

So someone convince me I'm wrong :)
Chris E

Postby newsposter » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:07 am

Heritage Park is great, but it is a building zoo. I prefer my buildings in the wild (i.e. preserved in their places) where they can continue to enliven our everyday city.
newsposter

Return to General Heritage Talk