The Barnhart Apartments

Swap ideas on ways to save and improve Calgary's heritage resources

Moderator: newsposter

The Barnhart Apartments

Postby gingergoodfellow » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:12 pm

I would like to find out more information on The Barnhart Apartments located at 1121 6th Street SW in Calgary - How can I go about getting information on this building?
gingergoodfellow

Postby Bob van Wegen » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:49 pm

Welcome to the forum!

In 2005 the Barnhart was reviewed by the Calgary Heritage Authority and upgraded to an 'A' on the potential heritage list. You can get a look at the city's file by contacting brenda.etherington@calgary.ca

Below is information from a tour we did previously. It may not be entirely accurate - I advise you to contact the City if you really want the goods. Please let us know what you find out.

Historical Building Name: Barnhart Apartments
Address: 1121 6th Street SW
Start Date of Construction: spring 1929
Completion Date of Construction: Fall 1929
Architect: Major R.T. Perry
Architectural Style: Queen Anne English Tudor (or Art deco interpretaton of such)
Builder: Contractor C.E. Barnhart
Original Owner: likely contractor Barnhart (hence the name)
Original Use: apartments
Current Owner:
Current Use: apartments
Historical Status: Provincially ‘registered’, municipal category C (1987), upgraded to A in 2005.
Date of Designation:
Notes:

Built during the late 1920s mini-boom. A feature article in the Albertan newspaper described the Barnhart as a “modern example of convenience, efficiency and comfort”. All suites were equipped with GE refrigerators and Hotpoint Hi-Speed Electric Ranges. They were lined up on the sidewalk for a publicity photo before being installed.
Bob van Wegen

Return to General Heritage Talk